Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Great Yogurt War part II: Yolato

I should mention that I have been on a ceaseless quest to find good frozen confections in NYC. Tasti-D doesn't count. It turns into water and chemicals when it melts. Coldstone definitely doesn't count. It's far too rich; like eating a stick of butter with a heath bar mixed in. Blech. Plus they claim to have pioneered smooshing in toppings, when clearly it was Steve Herrell who did that. Or maybe the McFlurry (does that exist?).

Prior to trying Pinkberry I half fell in love with a new discovery that I believe exists only in NYC. It's called Yolato (yogurt+gelato, duh) and it's super-duper yummy. I say "half" fell in love because I only like two flavors: blackberry and hazelnut. Many of the others that I've been willing to try are actually quite disgusting (they have a "corn" flavor, but I didn't try it). Here's what Yolato definitely has over Pinkberry:

No lines. Slightly cheaper. More flavors. Better flavors (the good ones anyway). Better name. Less market saturation, meaning more franchising and investment opportunities! Influenced by the Italians.

But still, can't New York have just one stand out Ice-Creamery that comes close to matching the likes of Herrells, J.P. Licks (both in Boston), Barts (Northampton) or Mad Marthas (Martha's Vineyard)? Maybe the sunglass-wearing I-banker from Worcester doesn't appreciate Massachusetts, but nowhere I know of can compare when it comes to ice cream. Hands down.

2 comments:

jellyfish said...

gee-heapers, don't you guys have a hagen-dasz or a ben&jerry's in new york?

ps: mint-chip mini-cone
only 1.00 in Brunswick:
giant scoops (two) of mint chip
a top a long pointy wafer cone.
handed thru a little red-striped awning window
only giffords, but
beats the fla-fla Mad Martha, $teve Herrell, Bart$
weird flavor sticky crowded tourist spots
anyday.
mint-chip mini-cone
mint-chip mini-cone
mint-chip mini-cone
my new mantra

Anonymous said...

hey there goodgoodman.blogspot.com blogger discovered your site via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com