Friday, August 17, 2007

Earthquake--apologies for typos on this spanish keyboard

Today we are in Arequipa, and everything is calm.

Our trip to Peru began fairly uneventfully. We arrived in Lima late Monday night, the airport was crowded but not overly so. Harris and I both thought we had altitude sickness, but it turns out lima´s at sea level. Even so, we were both light headed...most likely residual fogginess from the flight and grandparent overload. Within the first 15 mins at the baggage claim, H lost his phone. When i went to ask the security officers if there was a lost and found, struggling to regain what semblance of Spanish aptitude I have leftt, they laughed in my face. The phone was gone. Despite that downfall, the night went well. Amid the hundreds waiting to greet travellers outside customs, we spotted a gentleman carrying a ´Tova Goodman´sign. I was far moe excited about this than I should have been, but hey, I thought I was light headed from the altitude.

Our hotel was a lovely b and b run by Walter and his wife (she didnt show her face much). He was one of the most genteel, friendly gentlemen I have met. We had 2 fellow travellers, one from Paris and one from Barcelona (the only 2 cities Ive visited in Europe!) who were very friendly and good to chat with. Raphael, the frenchman, joined us for dinner the following night. H and explored Lima the first day, with mixed results. Its a grey city, with some beautiful old buildings and some fairly ugly new ones. Its full of deisel and honking and billboards just like any city.

The third day we took a bus to Pisco. It took roughly 4 hrs on a fairly luxurious coach, including blaring radio and dvds of Are We Done Yet and Shallow Hal. The bus drops you on the highway in Pisco where tour guides and taxi drivers attack you with their services. We found a taxi that seemed fairly priced and headed to El Chacho (as per the guide book) which was supposed to be more tranquil and pretty than Pisco. The book suggested a hotel that was at the end of a long dusty road, and we took the suggestion. When we arrived it seemed we were the only guests there. A very friendly manager/handyman greeted us and ushered us with a smile to our room.

The place was indeed desserted. But very beautiful. The back of the rooms had little porches facing the ocean, with lawn chairs and umbrellas strewn about on the grass beyond. There was one other couple there, seated on their cabana. We nodded to each other but didnt strike up any conversation. We were alone. We ate dinner alone; the waiter carefully placing each object on the table with utmost care. He reminded me of the toy cleaner from Toy Story 2. As we were the only guests, he showered us with attention and pìsco sours.

As we were finishing our meal and contemplating another drink, the ground started to shake. Neither of us was sure if it was an earthquake, a truck or maybe the generator bubbling. The waiter didn´t seem worried. Then his expression changed. I remeber H said out loud, "Is this an earthquake?" and I just ran. I ran to the doorway, like I had been told. Harris ran around the building with the waiter, or maybe it was with the handyman (wish i had gotten his name!). H started yelling my name, but for some reason was yelling it with an accent, so I thought it was someone else yelling. I didn´t answer. I was paralyzed. The shaking continued and I didn´t want to move from where I had been taught was the safest place during an earthquake. The lights went out and I couldn´t see. We had been dining outside on a pàtio next to the pool, and the pool was sloshing water all around, soaking everything. Finally, when H called my name again, I ran to the ground where he, the handyman, and the woman who worked behind the counter were down on the grass. They pushed me down and the shaking continued. The woman was very upset. She kept saying "que fuerte."

Finally the shaking stopped. The handyman laughed as if nothing had happened. "Todo tranquilo" he kept saying. The rest of us were litterally shaken. As the aftershocks continued, H and I asked for 4 beers and returned to our room in the dark, the handyman leading the way with a flashlight. I had luckily brought a headlamp and a flashlight which we used to illuminate our night filled with tremors, beer, cards and fear. I´ll post Pictures and video of the night when I can. Ar one point we heard a sound like a truck coming from the ocean, and I flipped out. Oh great, now comes the tsunami, I thought. There was a huge wave, but luckily, it didn´t reach our room. We only found out the next day that it had reached far up on shore in the adjoining area of Paracas. It had blasted widows and doors out of buildings that faced the ocean, and covered the town (little stores, restaurants etc) in a lthick layer of seaweed. I mad Harris leave the room when I thought the wave would come for us, and every sound from then on was magnified in both our minds. The other couple was nowhere to be found. We took a couple of expeditions around the hotel, one for water (con gas), one to avoid the wave I thought was coming, and a few to check out the water level when we heard the sea retreat. Another worker came and showed us how far the sea had risen....about halfway up to our room. A fitfull night of sleep with many, many tremors followed.

This was a fairly peaceful night compared to what we learned had happened to the other couple. They spent the night huddled on a hill abouve the town with the other villagers, with only one blanket between them. They just barely escaped the wave when someone in truck scooped them up. We spent a shaky breakfast of toast and tea with them (they still served us breakfast! despite the lack of electricity and running water!) and they recounted everything that had happened. They were from London and had a flight out the next day. They each told their version of the story...she with a frightened but lucid voice and he with the accent of Ozzy Ozzbourne. As we talked I was thinking we´d all be stuck and would spend the day hanging by the half-sloshed-out pool, because the couple said the road was flooded. But then the real hotel manager arrived in an SUV and offerered to take us to nearby Paracas to call home. The phone didnt work there--the lines were all down. There was seaweed over everything and walls down all over the place. At this point the manager explained that we should get out of there asap. He offered to take us and the couple to the highway for free. He was EXTREMELY helpful. He ended up taking us all to the main road, where the London couple had to find a way north, and we were headed south. The bridge outside Pisco had apparently collaspsed, so the traffic was backed up going north. Our journey wasnt too hard. The manager hugged us and refused money for the drive. we flagged down a bus to Ica and took the hour ride without incident.

Once in Ica we started to see th damage that had been done. Buildings down. No electricty. No water. Few phones. Hundreds at the bus terminal trying to get out. Many wrere casually walking around---what else was there to do? It wasnt a work day. One man said the electricity would surely be off for at least 4 more days. We saw a crushed car on one street, and people with all their belongings gathered on the streets outside what was once their homes. We waited in line at the bus terminal only to learn that those buses didnt go to Arequipa, where we needed to go next. We wandered around, trying to find a bus that did. Finally we found one that left at 7pm. We only had 7 hrs to kill in earthquake ravaged Ica til then.

We decided to take a taxi out of town, where there is a lake surrounded by dunes and hotels and mas tranquilidad. Originally we were going to stay there and sandboard down the dunes and hang with a bunch of backpackers, but there was no electricity or water there either, so we decided to spend several hours in the calm and then return for our bus. What a contrast from the dusty streets of Ica teeming with people to the lake in the middle of the dessert teeming with gringos! We hadn´t eaten (but for one piece of toast at breakfast), and this lucky spot had the one operating restaurant for miles! Put out food and the expats will come. I had the best grilled fish with garlic and rice of my life. And an avocado, tomato and cucumber salad that had me throwing all my dietary rules out the window. Delicious. We hung for a whilñe by the sand dunes inrelative quiet, watching people board down kicking up great clouds of dust. It felt wrong to do any boarding at that point, considering that state of things.

Just when I was feeling guilty for so easily escaping to paradise, we returned to Ica to spend the next 6 hours huddled in a small store/home/bus station with 30 or so Peruvians, awaiting the 7pm bus. Everyone at the station was exteremely nice, esp. considering many had lost their homes and possibly family or friends. We fell in and out of sleep, shivering as the cold desert night descended. People huddled under blankets and held their children close. The bus finally came at 12am, held up by the bridge collapse in Pisco. We staggered onto the double decker sleeper and fell into deep, if disturbed slumber. In the morning, 7am or so, we awoke to the sounds of Homer Simpson´s Spanish doppelganger and his illegally pirated ilk on DVD.

12 hours after leaving Ica, The bus rose and descnded the mountains to Arequipa, where there are articles all over the paper and red cross workers in the square...but otherwise its as placid as can be. People here have been through earthquakes as well, but even they are shocked by what those on the coast are facing. Terremoto is the word on everyones lips...and H and I will see what we can do to help, if anything. I´m glad we´ve made it out, and I shudder to complain given that I still have my health and home, and I don´t live in the dire poverty that many who suffered the earthquake do. Tomorrow we´ll head back to talk with the Peruvian Red Cross to see what we could give that would be helpful. I think canned goods and dry foods would be the best, given that most food has spolied and there may not be electricty for awhile. Meanwhile, H and I are planning a trip to Colca canyon, which will likely be considerably posh and lovely and far from tragedy. We certainly are very lucky and I´m thankful for that.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm glad I didn't know until this minute how close you were to Pisco and the center of the quake -- I imagined you were in Lima, and I was still anxious! I will look for some way on the Internet to contribute to earthquake relief in Peru. In the meantime, just the thought I had when I was in Sri Lanka (but fortunately far away from the coast) when the tsunami came -- while it feels completely weird just to go about your tourist business, it's probably one of the most helpful things you can do -- spend money to support the tourist economy, for surely many fewer people will come to Peru for awhile, until the fear subsides, and they need our dollars. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Toes, thanx for the incredible account of your harrowing time in Pisco. Like your mom, I believed you were in Lima ( or on your way to Machu Picchu) so I was less worried. I especially appreciated hearing from keven that harris phoned and said you were both ok - thanx for that too! I don't know what else to say except how happy I am hearing from you and that you're both doing the best you can given the circumstances, and how sad I am about the deaths and destruction there. I will also look into contributing money for the relief effort.
Is there any chance that you can buy a cell phone?
I love you, Dad

idanow said...

Harris and Tova,
We are thankful to GOD that you are alive and well. I can only imagine how terried you were. For us it was unbearable not knowing your whereabouts and having no idea if you were alive or injured.
My hours of sad tears ended when we heard your voice - what a relief - now they were tears of joy!!!!
Please take care of eachother and stay safe. We cannot wait to see you on the 1st.
we LOve U
pebbles and Keven

Anonymous said...

Tova - thanks for writing that account of the earthquake. Your father and Sarah and I were together in Nelson last night - talking of you and Harris and wanting details. Nice to have your account after our endless speculation. Did you climb Macchu Picchu - or did the earthquake cancel your plans? I'm glad you and harris are safe and well - glad you plan to help out - see you in September! - Love, Mir

ruth said...

tova and harris,
i was really stunned to read your account. i assumed you were in Lima, safe, and far enough away from the quake. not reading any news in your blog after a day or so, i started getting concerned, so it was with great relief that we read your thorough account. take advantage of your timing there, to help out in whatever ways you can, and especially, as your mom says, to partake of as much of your travels as you would have without an earthquake; you're there, and can help in the various ways she mentions. take good care of each other, and stay lucky. love, Ruth

Anonymous said...

wow, what an experience, so glad to hear your both ok.

Anonymous said...

Hot damn, Tova! I'm glad things turned out alright.

Anonymous said...

Hey T--your words make me feel like I'm there with you. so glad to have them! keep 'em coming.
s