Monday, August 13, 2007

South Florida: DelRay Dunes or Boynton Shores?

How does one choose which development/golf club to live in? I've now been to 2, and besides a varied curve in the road here, a different tint of stucco there, I saw no difference.

That's South Florida for you. Which brings me to my grandfather. He chose The Fountains. Maybe he liked their exclusionary policy on Blacks. He certainly agrees with their locking the pool bathrooms to keep out the migrant workers who slave all day under 100 degree sun landscaping the place. Perhaps they should pee in the bushes? When he took me to the ATM, there was another car in the lot when we pulled up. There was a black couple in the car. "I think they're waiting for someone to take out money so they can rob them," he said. "Please," I said. "Can't trust anyone," he retorted. Got me there, Grandpa.

I shouldn't trust anyone. I should move to a gated community. I'll make sure everyone's white and Jewish. Even the help. Can we find a way to convince white Jews to clean houses and do yard work? I'll squirrel my money away so no one can touch it and spend the rest of my life complaining about the people who try. I'll cut off all relations...there, that'll show 'em! Even my family won't be able to touch my money. I'll only eat at chain restaurants so I can trust the food. I'll vote for any politicians who act as scared as I feel. I'll make comments like "why go to South America when we hear all the Spanish we need right here?" I'll live a full and if not happy, at least sated life, one provided me by Starbucks, Target, WalMart, Costco, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, Macaroni Grill, Outback, Chili's...ok I have to go now to one of the above, in my air conditioned, american-made car. I'll be like you Grandpa, thanks for the advice.

No comments: